U.S. — MedStar took ‘extreme’ measures to block cyber threat

From the news item:

MedStar Health’s online records and email communications were cut off for a second day in a row Tuesday as the hospital system scrambled to recover from a malware attack.

As it cripples the $4.6 billion health system — which said it shut down its own online operations as a defensive tactic against the virus — the attack is sending shock waves across the health industry.

{ … }

Earlier in the day, The Washington Post reported patients were being turned away from MedStar facilities. Nickels said all hospitals and clinics are open and accepting and treating patients with some exceptions — for example, elective surgery, which relies on certain patient records.

Health care watchers said it was only a matter of time before the health care industry fell victim to this scale of attacks.

“Anyone who is surprised this is happening isn’t paying attention,” said Grant Elliott, founder and CEO of Arlington-based health IT and risk management firm Ostendio Inc.

Read the full item at the link:
http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2016/03/29/medstar-took-extreme-approach-to-block-security.html

About Author: GHCAN Admin

Comments are closed.